Tuesday, October 10, 2006

What's Really Important?

I work at a large university where the students pride themselves on being involved, being aware, and taking charge of events. When Facebook implemented changes that allowed every user's movement to be tracked instantly, these students banded together with lightning speed to protest the changes. They formed a new group of disgruntled users and encouraged everyone to boycott the site. In no time at all, Facebook discontinued the unwelcome and intrusive changes. One student posted a message saying "If we can do this, imagine what else we can accomplish!"

I applaud their efforts. It's good to know that our students are not apathetic and that they don't just accept things because they don't believe they can change them. The ability to act for change is what this country is based on. Bravo.

What is truly disturbing is that these same students who will force a corporate entity to meet their needs are not willing to assist a fellow human being in distress. When I walked to my office from the parking lot yesterday it was impossible not to see the young woman lying unconscious by a picnic table near the O'Connell Center. Her chin was scraped and bleeding from where she had hit it on the bench when she fainted. Her belongings were strewn around her. As I approached, I watched countless pedestrians and cars pass by, each of them looking, but not one of them stopping to help. Then, four young women stopped, called 911, and very carefully and gently assisted their fellow student in distress. They waited until help arrived before moving on. Wherever they were headed, they put their own agendas aside to assist. They should be commended for doing the right thing and for acting with genuine concern and compassion.

The world needs more people like these four. While we have come to accept this kind of "I don't want to get involved" apathy in many places, this is not what we should expect - or accept - on the University of Florida campus.

I hope that those who passed on by will spend at least a few moments wondering why they couldn't be bothered.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Awesome post D. You know I was really pissed when I read your letter to the editor talking about that. I can't believe these jerks just left her lying there. She could have been seriously INJURED or DYING!!!

You know if their parents had raised them right I doubt they would have just walked on by. Man, I could just never do that. Thank God for the four girls who helped her!